Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to the PGRF gaming community! Everyone here is very friendly, so don't hesitate to say hi and engage in some video game discussion with all of us! From retro to modern, there's no discrimination here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask the moderators and administrators! Have fun.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free!
Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Nintendo Switch; Thoughts
Topic Started: Oct 20 2016, 02:07 PM (6,998 Views)
KingJames88
Member Avatar
Ds Games!

So we finally got the to see the NX, codename for the new Nintendo Switch home/portable console. What do you guys think of the little we got to see? On the one hand I'm excited to play a game like Skyrim on the go on a screen that size with detachable controllers but on the other hand, I hope this doesn't kill off the game series I love so much on the ds and 3ds that are much more suited to handheld play like the Professor Layton games and Ace attorney games for instance, as well as smaller games like Picross. We we have to see I suppose, but so far that's my main concern.
Posted Image
>>My DS Collection Here<< 194 games and counting!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Unclever
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I am really surprised that there wasn't a full direct on the console at this point. I assume everything is fairly pinned down at this point. That would be my biggest concern, if things are still in flux can they still make that March release date. I would also like confirmation that the detachable tablet thing is 100% the processing power of the console and there is not some weird 50/50 thing going on. Other than that it confirmed that the console is a portable system that can be docked to something to display it on a TV. It did show a Mario game, so I am excited about that. It also show Mario Kart and Splatoon but I assume that those are just going to be the WiiU game ported to the Switch.

MidiPour
Member Avatar
Power of Sardines

I was a tad disappointed we were only getting a 3 minute commercial rather than a full half hour breakdown of the device. That being said, I think we got a lot out of it, and look forward to more information to start coming in directly from Nintendo.

I've listed my pros/cons with what we saw:
+ Home console, handheld and mobile hybrid means we'll have a consolidated Nintendo platform.
+ Splatoon as a relatively new IP has a lot of potential, and I think it would be great if Nintendo could take cues from Riot, Blizzard and Valve and take the series to the next level - but this only a pipe dream that they do take lessons from others, and truly create a game that would create events such as what we saw in the commercial.
+ Porting last/current gen games to a handheld device, I loved and bought whatever ports I could get on the Vita.
+ Certain devs like From Software and Autodesk are listed? What does that mean? Mario Maker 2!? ;o

- Nintendo always reports a pretty list of third party support, with devs like Ubisoft being hype machines early on, so I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical what that will actually translate to.
- The games they did preview felt too cyclical or less moving. I don't think the Mario footage did the game justice as it gave me a 3D World vibe, without the top-down camera angle. I'd like to see what's actually fresh with the game rather than, "Oh, a shiny new 3D Mario!" at first blush.
- I straight up hope I don't lose the individual components to this console whenever I go traveling with it.

Last note: this will be a definite buy for Monster Hunter 5U for me, and unless Nintendo is quick with their timeline of releases, I'm not going to be an early adopter.

TNT
Member Avatar
Totally Not Thanous
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hype this looks pretty amazing lol right when I woke up I checked my Facebook and saw that the ad had been posted like 3 minutes ago lmao

I hope they have a controller option with the control sticks in their proper places lol
Posted Image

NinjaPenguin8969
Member Avatar
I SUCK AT GAMES
I'm sold. It looks awesome to me, but I hope they price it accordingly. Wii U was and still is overpriced.
The third party list is bs until a year or two has passed imo. We always see lists like that, and then third party support dries up after launch on Nintendo systems.
Edited by NinjaPenguin8969, Oct 20 2016, 07:22 PM.
Posted Image

pestro
Member Avatar
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hori or MadCatz, make it happen:

Posted Image
Ginga Force translation

GrillmarkedX
Member Avatar
The Sorrow
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think it's a really cool concept and I'm looking forward to hearing the specs as a console and/or handheld. I'm guessing the screen for the tablet/handheld isn't 3D?? (Shoutbox)

I also hope there will be an adapter made for 3DS/DS game backward compatibility-- that'd be cool and a plus-- whether it's in 3D or not.

Zelda is the game I look forward to the most. I like mario games, but I haven't been super excited for a new Mario game since the mid 90's-- but the one they showed looked good for the little that they did show. I'll probably get Skyrim on ps4. Never played Splatoon. I just want to see something new to be honest, aimed towards late teens and adults.

I really hope they support the 3DS for a long time, and games keep coming out for it. I mean, once the 3DS is is done is that it for the time being for 3D games? That'd be a bummer, but Nintendo will still roll out a new handheld (strictly)?
Edited by GrillmarkedX, Oct 20 2016, 09:55 PM.
Posted Image

AndsyRR
Member Avatar

"skyrim on the go"

For real? People are kidding themselves that they'll actually play a huge 3D open world RPG while out and about?

Fuck that. Shoulda demoed a Pokemon game on it instead. That's the money shot.

Regardless, it's just a rebadged Nvidia Shield. And once again everyone loses their shit cos..... Nintendo.
Posted Image

KingJames88
Member Avatar
Ds Games!

One thing I forgot to mention, somehow, is that I haven't been a big fan of Nintendo home consoles in a long time. I have a wii but only played a few games. Now that this will be both portable and home console, I won't be missing out on the bigger released on the home console as I'll already have the system for portable gaming, so that's nice.

I really doubt backwards compatibility as so many ds and 3ds games rely on a touch screen and as far as I know this is not a specification of the switch.

I still have my concern over the portable friendly type games disappearing after the 3ds becomes old and this Switch being the only Nintendo system around.
Posted Image

NinjaPenguin8969
Member Avatar
I SUCK AT GAMES
AndsyRR
Oct 21 2016, 01:31 AM
"skyrim on the go"

For real? People are kidding themselves that they'll actually play a huge 3D open world RPG while out and about?

Fuck that. Shoulda demoed a Pokemon game on it instead. That's the money shot.

Regardless, it's just a rebadged Nvidia Shield. And once again everyone loses their shit cos..... Nintendo.
Seeing Skyrim disappointed me. When I see a new system the last thing I want to see is a 5 year old game running on it...

This thing looks awesome to me because I can take it to work and do Mario Kart on lunch with coworkers, and I can take it with me on trips. Anything more than something like Mario Kart or maybe Splatoon I won't play outside of my house. I couldn't even be fucked to play Pokeymans Go in public despite having my phone with me all the time lol.

Have there been any spec leaks? I would like to believe this is more powerful than an Xbone or PS4, but I'm thinking it's weaker and costs the same...or more :/
Edited by NinjaPenguin8969, Oct 21 2016, 12:47 PM.
Posted Image

MidiPour
Member Avatar
Power of Sardines

KingJames88
Oct 21 2016, 09:13 AM
I still have my concern over the portable friendly type games disappearing after the 3ds becomes old and this Switch being the only Nintendo system around.
This is just speculation but I don't think that will be a problem since the Switch looked like it'll have apps. Meaning, alot of those games like Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick which were ported to mobile will also be ported onto the Switch, coupled with whatever future release universally released between mobile and Switch. Likewise, I expect Nintendo to have Mario Run, Pokemon GO, Miitomo, Fire Emblem mobile, etc on the Switch.

GrillmarkedX
Member Avatar
The Sorrow
[ *  *  *  * ]
As bad as I want to play Zelda, I don't see myself getting the Switch for quite awhile. I don't have the circle of gaming friends I used to have, so I'll prob be the only one that has one out of my friends or coworkers. I rarely go anywhere besides work. If I go to a friends house it's to chill and not sit in a corner playing games by myself for 4 hours, lol.

So for me it's 99% all about the games. I'll just have to wait and see!
Posted Image

majinpowers
Member Avatar
Sega Does What Nintendon't

I will get the Switch day one. I really like the concept of one unit for gaming at home and on the go.

Consolidation!
Handheld and home games all together, image playing all your 3DS games on your Wii U!

If this is going to be the replacement for the 3DS there shouldnt be any question about 3rd party support cause Nintendo rules the handheld market. Even without any 3rd party support your getting all Nintendo IPs on one console.
Posted Image

Click here to check out my game room and a closer look at my collections!

Check me out on DinkyDana.com!

GrillmarkedX
Member Avatar
The Sorrow
[ *  *  *  * ]
These themes and colors aren't official, but I like the Zelda and classic nes themes that some dude made for the Switch:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/look-easy-nintendo-switch-much-hotter-232022317.html

Another link with a couple others: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/FSHaK
Edited by GrillmarkedX, Oct 22 2016, 02:13 AM.
Posted Image

MidiPour
Member Avatar
Power of Sardines

majinpowers
Oct 21 2016, 07:31 PM
I will get the Switch day one. I really like the concept of one unit for gaming at home and on the go.

Consolidation!
Handheld and home games all together, image playing all your 3DS games on your Wii U!

If this is going to be the replacement for the 3DS there shouldnt be any question about 3rd party support cause Nintendo rules the handheld market. Even without any 3rd party support your getting all Nintendo IPs on one console.
This is why I've been thinking this has to be leaps and bounds more successful than the Wii U, at least. I expect Nintendo to have way more first party content than any other device they've put out. And I'm so damn happy, so damn fucking happy, they finally broke away from the dual screen gimmick and finally are putting out a console that ergonomically makes sense in the modern market! :D This is why I expected tablets to amount to, with no first party dev ever creating a standard model for them.

KingJames88
Member Avatar
Ds Games!

For whoever asked about leaked specs, I remember seeing something leaked but can't recall what it was, I'll keep a look out.
Posted Image

sagagadeogo09
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
KingJames88
Oct 22 2016, 07:55 PM
For whoever asked about leaked specs, I remember seeing something leaked but can't recall what it was, I'll keep a look out.
here. https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/788678442602536961
sagagadego09, psn name.

KingJames88
Member Avatar
Ds Games!

sagagadeogo09
Oct 22 2016, 08:24 PM
KingJames88
Oct 22 2016, 07:55 PM
here. https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/788678442602536961
Thank you, I read about the custom Nvidia chip just couldn't remember if any specifics were given. This is the first I'm hearing about a touch screen, and it was clearly left out of the trailer on purpose, if it is indeed a feature, so there is some hope yet of the 3/ds type games making more of an appearance than I thought.
Posted Image

GrillmarkedX
Member Avatar
The Sorrow
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is there anything else Nintendo has up their sleeve with this thing or is it all pretty much on the table now? Just things like a touchscreen to show I guess. Strange they didn't show that during the reveal video.
Posted Image

Unclever
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In a very general sense we know of the Switch is but I still have tons of questions. Personally I don't really think that video gave much info at all.

There is still a ton of important things like pricing, and battery life, and actually come out with the specs. I know they have said that it is going to be basically as powerful as a XboxOne but it is not like console manufactures have never embellished the power of their machine. Based on the rumors we know that sound like a reasonable statement but they need to actually tell us the specs so people smarter than me on the subject can say "Yea, they are right it should he about as powerful as a XboxOne."

What is the online infrastructure. My stance on this in more resent years is Nintendo doesn't need to have the best online. At this point in the race they just are never going to be the online console of choose, but they need to do better then what they have been. Is it still going to be free. Will there be any kind of Backwards compatibility. I know they said that it will not have a disk drive or 3DS game slot, but they haven't said anything about digital contact. Now I don't really hold out nope that it will, but they need to say that.

Lastly and most importantly is software support. What games do they plan to have for launch and what games do they nope to have in the first year. What 3rd party came can they confirm. I know 3rd party support at the beginning doesn't guaranty support for the lifetime of the console but certainly I want the to show there best foot forward.

GrillmarkedX
Member Avatar
The Sorrow
[ *  *  *  * ]
I see a $400+ price tag easily for the novelty of it being a "hybrid", and since fitting quite a bit of power into that tablet seems like it'd be expensive. I mean the wiiu is still $300 at Wally. Idk, just thinking out loud here.

The only downside is that now all of a sudden you have to spend almost 2x the money rather than just spending about $200 for a handheld only-- for those that want the latest handheld.
Posted Image

Unclever
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually think they need to hit a $300 price tap. You seem to be seeing a console that has the added advance of being portable. I see a portable system with a docking station.

GrillmarkedX
Member Avatar
The Sorrow
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well it definitely has more of a portable feel to it for sure. Ultimately it's gonna be whatever we play it as at that given moment, it's really hard to call it anything but a hybrid.

I'm just guessing that will come with a price, but if it was $300 I think it'd sell like crazy. That seems really, really fair for what you get and what you are able to do with it, and we haven't seen everything yet either.
Edited by GrillmarkedX, Oct 25 2016, 06:07 AM.
Posted Image

Kharnivore2099
Member Avatar
Retroverdose

This is the first Nintendo console I've been interested in from the announcement since the N64 days, and though that left me underwhelmed I still have high hopes for this. The potential of playing their portable style games on a proper TV, with the option of that portability, is what I wanted from the WiiU right from the beginning. Looking hopeful so far as an alternative to my PC, which is something long overdue in the industry at the moment.
Posted Image
Twitch Channel
Youtube Channel

KingJames88
Member Avatar
Ds Games!

If there is going to be any type of successor to the 3ds then I think this thing will be definitely more of a home console you can take on the go, but if not, then I can understand the feeling of it being a portable with a docking station, except for the fact that this will be the only place to get the big first party release console games. I know Nintendo said we have to wait until March but I hope we get a direct before then, however I can see them waiting until after Christmas as they wouldn't want people to hold off making 3ds and wii u purchases for gifts if they're going to remind people they have new hardware coming in three more months from then.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modern Gaming · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: