Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to the PGRF gaming community! Everyone here is very friendly, so don't hesitate to say hi and engage in some video game discussion with all of us! From retro to modern, there's no discrimination here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask the moderators and administrators! Have fun.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free!
Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
PGRF Discord is here!
Topic Started: Dec 5 2017, 05:21 PM (398 Views)
pokemonzrpg
Member Avatar
Zach Archer

Hey everyone! At long last, the PGRF Discord server is here! For a while I hadn't started working on it because I wanted a new name to go in with, but since I have the ability to change the server name whenever, I figured I might as well go ahead and make one under the PGRF name.

If you don't know what Discord is (it's something I'm fairly new to as well), it is a structured text and voice chat system. You can have multiple channels in a server, which essentially divide the community into different areas of discussion like sections of a forum. You can download the Discord app for free which makes for a very mobile-friendly experience. All in all it is hard to fully explain without you trying it out for yourself. It might take some getting used to, but at least give it a shot if you'd like!

Since it is more of a real-time chat system than a system for detailed discussions, this certainly won't be a replacement for PGRF as it stands. See it as supplemental material for now. Whether or not I make a whole new forum in the future as well is yet to be decided.

I'd really like to stress that since Discord is so flexible in terms of structuring, most changes can be made without drastically affecting the pre-existing community in the way it does with something like a forum. If we want more channels to be added, channels to be taken out, things to be re-arranged, etc., these things can all be done almost instantly when I'm available. That being said, I won't be available 24/7 so the addition of moderators will likely be a step I take. I won't have moderators right out of the gate because 1) I'm currently the only member of the server since I just made it and 2) I want to gauge how much activity we'll actually have moving forward before deciding how many moderators to add and what-not.

Now I'd like to run through the current layout of the server. Like I said, all of this is subject to change and I highly encourage any feedback, either on here or on Discord, as to what should be added, removed, or changed moving forward. My thought process was that games, movies, and shows which are of particular relevance at a certain time could be given their own channels for spoiler-included discussion, whereas the other channels will remain spoiler-free. For example, if Super Mario Odyssey had just come out and everyone wanted to talk about it, I could make a "mario-odyssey-spoilers" channel for it real quick and go from there.

The first category of channels is Community, which includes the Rules, Updates, Suggestions, Text Chat and Voice Chat channels. Rules is where I just put the very simplified rules for the server for now. Updates will be where I post any important announcements and updates to the server. Suggestions is where anyone can pop in with recommendations for the server at any time, including the addition of channels they would be interested in. Text Chat is the equivalent of our Off-Topic section, in casual chat form. Lastly, Voice Chat is currently the only voice channel on the server (and the only one I see as necessary right now, let me know if you disagree). Just a place to voice chat about whatever!

The second category of channels is Gaming, which includes the Currently Playing, Gaming News, General, Modern, and Retro channels. I wanted to incorporate a bit of that forum charm in here, so Currently Playing is a channel which I thought would be a cool way to work in the "Games I've been playing recently" kind of topic which is so popular here. You can just share with everyone what you've been playing recently, your thoughts on the games, etc. Gaming News is a channel where we can talk about the latest gaming news. Feel free to share links to relevant articles on news in the industry or link to new game trailers which we can discuss. General, Modern, and Retro is how I split up the general gaming discussions for now. I went based off of our forum sections here, but I'm not entirely set on whether this is the best breakdown for Discord moving forward or not. Let me know your thoughts on that.

The last category right now is Film/Television, which includes the Currently Watching, Film/TV News, Film Talk, and TV Talk channels. Currently Watching is the film/TV counterpart to Currently Playing, where you can just share what shows/movies you've been watching recently and talk about your (spoiler-free) thoughts with everyone. Film/TV News is the counterpart to Gaming News. Share any new articles or trailers in the industry. Then there is Film Talk and TV Talk which are general spoiler-free discussions on each of those.

Like I said, I'd like to have channels for relevant specific games or shows in the Gaming and Film/Television categories if you want to have some spoilery discussions. For film and television, Game of Thrones could have its own channel before/when it comes back, Stranger Things could have its own channel since it's relevant now, etc. Let me know what you want to see, and your thoughts on the layout overall!

Join the Discord community here
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pokemonzrpg
Member Avatar
Zach Archer

Also, if you choose to use a different name than the one you have on this forum, please try to give some sort of indication as to who you are from here. For example, I am listed under my real name on Discord but put "ZRPG" in parentheses next to my name so you know that it is me.
Posted Image

KingJames88
Member Avatar
Ds Games!

I will definitely give it a look but I have never used this before. What do I do? I'm going to get the app on my phone now and see if I can figure it out.

EDIT: Read the whole thing and missed the big link at the bottom.
Edited by KingJames88, Dec 7 2017, 07:45 AM.
Posted Image
>>My DS Collection Here<< 194 games and counting!

pokemonzrpg
Member Avatar
Zach Archer

Gonna give this a bump in case people are just stopping by.

We've been having some good fun over there in the Discord community! Lots of room for discussion!
Posted Image

BotzaBrand
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
i'll have to google discord because i have no clue what it is

pokemonzrpg
Member Avatar
Zach Archer

BotzaBrand
Dec 12 2017, 03:16 PM
i'll have to google discord because i have no clue what it is
I mean you can but
pokemonzrpg

If you don't know what Discord is (it's something I'm fairly new to as well), it is a structured text and voice chat system. You can have multiple channels in a server, which essentially divide the community into different areas of discussion like sections of a forum. You can download the Discord app for free which makes for a very mobile-friendly experience. All in all it is hard to fully explain without you trying it out for yourself. It might take some getting used to, but at least give it a shot if you'd like!
Posted Image

Keroppi Choppi
Member Avatar
It's actually 2009 just saying.
[ *  *  * ]
Woo!
Youtube Channel!
3DS Friend Code: 5370 - 0856 - 4171

pokemonzrpg
Member Avatar
Zach Archer

Keroppi Choppi
Dec 12 2017, 10:56 PM
Woo!
Huzzah!
Posted Image

pokemonzrpg
Member Avatar
Zach Archer

It's going incredibly well! If you haven't joined yet, I'd encourage you to at least give it a chance. It's something different, for sure, but it's remarkable the difference in activity level from here to the Discord. I sent out a bulk email to all of the members here, so we've had a lot of old faces turn up, as well as some recently inactive members returning and even new faces all-together! It's a great time, we're considering starting things like the Gent's Challenge on there soon too.
Posted Image

NinjaPenguin8969
Member Avatar
I SUCK AT GAMES
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How do you talk on it? It says I don't have permission to.
First time using Discord :/

Oh nvm. Guess it takes a few minutes before access opens up.
Edited by NinjaPenguin8969, Dec 20 2017, 03:12 AM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Announcements & Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply